What Is Evolutionary Astrology?
Evolutionary Astrology is a name used to describe a style of astrology that understands each person's birth chart as a map of the soul's evolution. The term "evolutionary astrology" is used by many astrologers and has a complicated history. You can learn more about the term's rich meaning and context in Steven's seminal work about the underpinnings of his technique, Yesterday's Sky. Steven's use of the term is one that celebrates the diversity of the field. But back in 2000, Steven got together with Jeffrey Wolf Green to attempt to articulate a set of core perceptions that would mark any astrologer's work as "evolutionary." You can read that list below, which serves as a great starting point for understanding this style of astrology. Of course to truly understand what evolutionary astrology is, the best way is to experience it through a reading with an evolutionary-style astrologer.
Steven's approach assumes that each of us is able to work with the astrological forces, not simply be directed by them. Coming from the core belief that there is a larger, transpersonal meaning to our lives, astrology can be used to help us live in harmony with that higher purpose. Thus, an evolutionary astrology reading is never "predictive" in a rigid or fatalistic sense. An evolutionary astrologer will talk about the questions you'll face, but will not spell out your answers to them. It's up to you how you interact with the field and create your own answers. The archetypal field is rich both with meaning, but also with possibility. And it's the possibility that an evolutionary astrologer strives to celebrate.
Evolutionary Astrology defined by Steven Forrest and Jeffrey Wolf Green
Evolutionary Astrology embraces paradigms and methodologies which specifically measure the growth of the soul from life to life. These methods invariably focus on the planet Pluto and its relationship to the Moon's nodal axis. While it is composed of a set of specific formal methodologies, evolutionary astrology is ultimately characterized less by a technical approach than by a set of philosophical principles defined by natural law. Different evolutionary astrologers may use somewhat different interpretive methods, but they can always be recognized by a devotion to the following core perceptions:
1. An acceptance of the fact that human beings incarnate in a succession of lifetimes.
2. An acceptance of the fact that the birthchart reflects the evolutionary condition of the soul at the moment of incarnation.
3. An acceptance of the fact that the birthchart reflects the evolutionary intentions of the soul for the present life.
4. An acceptance of the fact that the circumstances of the present life, both materially and psychologically, do not arise randomly, but rather reflect the evolutionary intentions and necessities of the soul.
5. An acceptance of the fact that human beings interact creatively and unpredictably with their birthcharts; that all astrological symbols are multi-dimensional and are modulated into material and psychic expression by the consciousness of the individual.
6. An acceptance of the fact that human beings are responsible for the realities they experience, both internally and externally.
7. A respectful intention to accept and support a person seeking astrological help, no matter the evolutionary state in which such an individual finds himself or herself.
Copyright 2000, Steven Forrest and Jeffrey Wolf Green
Related Books and Courses
Steven’s master work on the topic of Evolutionary Astrology. Includes a complete method for working with the nodes of the moon in chart interpretation.
A comprehensive introduction to Evolutionary Astrology as taught and practiced by beloved astrologer Steven Forrest.
Through three examples, Steven breaks down the techniques of Evolutionary Astrology in detail, just as it would be done in preparation for a live astrology reading.